Great Sounds Great; Bad Sounds Bad: Kimbra “Cameo Lover”

Every week, a panel of writers for The Corner will focus on a bunch of recently released local singles and grade them. We call it Great Sounds Great; Bad Sounds Bad. We might have borrowed this idea from thesinglesjukebox.com but we love that site and we hope that you like this.

[YouTube / iTunes]

[Grade: 5.8]

Dan Trevarthen: Whoa. Ruby Frost and Zowie have their moments, but this is another level for performance, originality and musicality. Great arrangement, the way it uses the ‘Be My Baby’ beat but in a non-obvious way, and despite those nods to 60′s girl group stuff it doesn’t feel retro. I LOVE this, but it cycles through a lot of ideas in four minutes – you wonder if its ambition will hurt it a little in the charts? Girl can really, really sing, and I can’t get enough of that joyous, cascading chorus. Check out her vocals shifting up a gear at 2.20, sheesh. ‘Something On My Lips’ and her initial singer-songwriter material was lite, funky and cheesy as hell… but I remember talking This Night Creeps appreciation with her years ago, so I think she’s always had taste — I guess the music’s caught up. [9]

Tim Gentles: Just when you thought twee pop was dead… ‘Cameo Lover’ actually opens somewhat deceptively with a dry electro beat. Within 20 seconds though, my suspicions had been aroused by the presence of a glockenspiel line that quickly explodes into a joyous exaltation to “Open up your heart.” The New Sincerity anyone? This is pure dross for the Regina Spektor set, for whom quirk has become a commodity. [2]

Louie G: Finally, a music video with a higher whiteness ratio than the Orewa Rotary Address. [2]

Chelsea Nikkel: Kimbra used to make really boring bland female Christian singer-songwriter Kiwi flava in the background of your mommas BBQ BS but in the last four years she has miraculously transformed into the vintage indie minx frontwoman of a four-minute multi-genre musical called “extreme makeover the Kimbra edition” and normally I hate intentionally zany shit but this song is a truly impressive melting pot of perfectly executed ideas including but not limited to Serge inspired orchestral pop arrangements, cues from 50′s and 60′s girl group recordings, (that drum loop hasn’t sounded as appropriate since ‘Be My Baby’) soul, and modern R’n’B combined with ultra modern 2011 experimental disco production and Kimbra’s strong, dynamic and nothing like Cat Power vocals hold it all together allowing this epic masterpiece to build, drop, and then soar even more in all the right places but still not ever taking itself too seriously as it casually shits all over every other hyped NZ pop starlet. Kimbra – you should’ve be the one wiping the floor with Katy “quirky girl” Perry at Vector Arena. [10]

Phyllis Gabor: This is what great pop music sounds like. Kimbra is so incredibly talented, I remember her from the Smokefree Rockquest and thinking she was gonna get snapped up and chucked into the top 40 to be bled out as soon as it was over. But Kimbra proved better than that, obviously nurturing her own talent for the past few years and coming back with an amazing sound, fine tuned to suit her perfectly and strongly stand alone against any pop trend. I think ‘Cameo Lover’ has certainly proved that. This song is like genius artistry – it’s chopped into a few quite musically different parts that it always seems on the verge of messy, but they always get reigned in at just the right moment to get the full intensity of each masterfully differing bit and allow them to work harmoniously together to build the song while still sounding refined. Kimbra’s got a strong, soulful voice that also helps keep the song together, and I really like how she doesn’t try to play down her accent at all. This is a burst of perfectly orchestrated and executed pop chaos. With such a strong single, I’m definitely looking forward to checking out the album. [9]

Luke Warm: Perfoming Arts Student..? This is so forgetable. Bogus bogus bogus. Okay one point for the hairdo. [1]

Dan Taipua: This is probably as Australian as a NZ-funded act could hope to be. Kimbra’s side-stepped the awkward phase of slogging in a small market with a banging single then trying to leverage that success half a year down the track. Instead, she put on her prettiest dress, gassed it to Oz, and started working from there. That equates to the most gangsta move I’ve seen since Suge Knight dumped a bag full of live snakes in the Ruthless Records boardroom. That’s up there with Ladyhawke winning Dance/Electronica VNZMA for a record mostly recorded in London and released by an Australian label. Expect Kimbra to swag into Auckland and scoop her trophies, then boost back out, gold-heavy.
Kimbra’s label (management agency) doesn’t deal in music all that much – instead, they mainly offer contacts for ‘Lifestyle Talent’. I don’t actually know what that term actually means, but I think the gist is “people to go on the telly for stuff”. That’s some star alchemy right there – Pour in production from Architecture in Helsinki and you’ll be laughing all the way to #1 on NZ’s shout, along with a guest judge spot on Australian Top Chef. So. Gangsta. [5]

Fraser Austin: I read she is like anti-abortion somewhere, I read that she is anti-gay and I also read she responded that her best friends are gay. I’ve read interviews here in street press where they say the gay community love her and she talks awkwardly around the fact. None of this is important of course, none of it I can hear in the song. In the song I hear another female musician riffing on an obnoxious “it’s oh so quiet” theme. “Quirky” is one of those words that’s so internationally abused in music press, there is nothing unexpected in someone like Kimbra. [3]

Kim Gruschow: Kimbra starts it like Kylie Minogue in this nod to Florence’s ‘Dog Days’ (complete with white background in the sprightly and black in the slower bit). The vocals are more heady than gutsy and sometimes she switches up weird like she suddenly got a wet willy in one ear, but she’s having fun regardless, especially in the 10 seconds of disco style that kicks in at around 2:20 (my favourite part, and it should have lasted longer). She’s hooked on bum bum bums and the horns could be more real but this is variety-pop, it’s apparently on-trend and comes with pom pom frock trim. Her moves are Stepford wifey and they work, her voice is versatile and I think it’s her strongest single, despite being all over the place. [5]

Maryann Savage: Cheap and cheerful. Good music for Supre. To me, it’s not uncanny enough to be supra-pop. [4]

Julie Petsounds: There is so much dank shit coming out of NZ pop land that just doesn’t really cut the mustard, but MY GOD Kimbra has next leveled it for all of you pop darling wannabes. There is so much overstudied pop at the moment it feels like they think that the first chapter of “How to write Pop Music and make a Pop Persona 101″ is Deleuze and Guattari. Kimbra has written something smart & enjoyable and everything has clicked together and fuck yeah I want to listen to this song every day. It’s fucking joyous. Sounds a bit like Orange Juice and I fucking love Orange Juice. [10]

Michael McClelland: The only way I was able to listen to this song was via my failing internet connection, at only 30 seconds of music a time being streamed to my ears. Thankfully, there are so many subtleties here that it didn’t get tiring: those cheaply plucked harpstrings, the shadowy sudden echo of the word ‘home’ in the first verse, the bluesy guitar lick after ‘you take to me to depths I never knew’… such clever attention paid to the best features of pop music history and amalgated into the catchiest thing I’ve heard in a long time. It’s motown as fuck, which is possibly half the appeal – it’s refreshing to hear some taste of history after the latest samey trends that have homogenised pop. “Boom, boom-boom CHA!” is there of course, at one point suggesting another proud chorus – but our expectations are cockblocked, and instead served with the most sensitively delivered bridge/refrain I’ve heard since ‘Good Vibrations’. The thing that keeps astounding me each time I come back is the way that there are no similarities between different parts of the song – even repetitions are strongly contrasted, and with such intelligence. The thought and care that went into the words, notes and beats of this single makes it an outstanding example on an international level. Not just ‘good for a (21 year-old!) kiwi’. The production is so so crafty, the lyrics are clever, and the form of the song is overall a refreshing piece of greatness that’s headed straight for number one. If you take a look at Kimbra’s charismatic live delivery, you’ll agree that there’s no reason not to award her this song and her talent a [10].

128 Comments

1. Julie Petsounds says:

Where is my review ??? :( :( :(

2. Noodle says:

Wow, way to polarise the panel. Despite the pretentious video, I really, really like this. She’s not just good compared with other pop singers or for her age or any other qualifiers – she’s just bloody good.

3. Kelvin says:

I pointed out about six months ago what Frase was mentioning, the fucking horribly conservative viewpoints that she for some reason decided she needed to state to the public. That really pissed me off, I couldn’t understand how someone in the creative industry in this day and age could be anti-gay. But this song is fucking catchy and I FUCKING LOVE THE DRUMS SO HARD. Fuck you Kimbra, you stupid girl, this rules.

• Kelvin says:

Sorry, I couldn’t understand how a ‘quirky’ 21 year old female performer could be anti-gay.

• big daddy says:

bro, christianity.

• Michael McClelland says:

is there a link for this stuff? before we all get all worked about something which may not be exactly true

• Kelvin says:

Ah its true Michael, it was in a zine in the dom post or something like that, i read it with my own eyes, as did other people. but its beside the point, the song rules, her ideologies fucking suck

• Philly G says:

yuh link plz man!!! fuk that makes me so sad :<

4. Bones says:

yeah, fuck you kimbra

5. Julie Petsounds says:

Fuckin hate how she is anti-abortion but at least she isn’t doing an ELO with her songs

• Kelvin says:

that was the worst day of my life, when dad pointed out what that song was about

• Dan Taipua says:

That’s just an urban legend, I remember the same being said of ‘Sensitive to a Smile’

• Noodle says:

What’s this about ELO?

• zazazazaZAMZ says:

Yeah mang, sucks so hard. She is worse that ELO. ELO made music in a different ‘time’. Today it is pretty much unacceptable. she needs a dose of Gaga Ideology.

6. Being nice. Keeping it clean. says:

Isn’t that the core of Great Sounds Bad Sounds jury in the video? At their official tune assessment desk units. Not the ones with the tambourines.

7. Noodle says:

@Chelsea: “normally I hate intentionally zany shit” – like songs about monkeys eating bananas?

Seriously though, I love that song.

8. Hookie says:

I recall her comments about the Gays. That sort of shit gets you forever black marked in my book. I don’t care how great your music is or isn’t. If Animal Collective came out and said they didn’t agree with blacks and their lifestyle, that would be it for me. it seems that the pop world is so fickle that people forget or don’t care. I bet Gary Glitter will have a chart topper this time next week!

9. Had to check this was really an NZ act. She’s based in Australia and I assume backed with australian clout. This is not absolute 10 incredible but the ambition is highly commended. Some – not all – of the stuff going on here is really great. I like her better than Gin. If she has shitty politics that’s her problem, it’s a pretty good song.

10. Michael McClelland says:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    $***********************************$
    $*~~~~~==**FUCK THIS SHIT**==~~~~~~*$
    $***********************************$
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

yep, how convenient that the most damning reviews this time round are the shortest ones. as if more can be said and justified by a one-liner? it took me a day to mull over my [10] and i’m still not even totally happy with it. shouldn’t it require the same amount of effort if you’re going to nuke the song with a [1] or a [0]?

sorry, i’m just really frustrated because this song fucking rules, and for the first time ever, the panel is totally divided on the issue with 5 people awarding it [9] or [10]. that’s a great great thing for a song, because love it or hate it, it’s gonna be around for a while. people have a reason to listen to it, whether it be to argue its worth or judge its flaws. as it so happens, everyone i’ve shown it to (at least 4 or 5 people) have immediately noted a soaring quality.

so if you don’t like it, can you at least say **why**? (no harm done [5]‘ers, at least you offered some insight)

oh, and kimbra, i’m pissed at you too: how could you shoot yourself in the foot with that goddamn hideous video? this ain’t florence, bitch. and that conservative bullshit is just retarded.

• Michael McClelland says:

yeah, fuck this ascii art shit too

• Hookie says:

It’s just a pop song that everyone will forget in a few months. It won’t change the world, it won’t change peoples lives. It is aural wallpaper that will make people feel happy for a few seconds, then be discarded. A bit like the musical equivalent of a McDs hamburger. Why should the negative reviewers waste all that energy and effort because you happened to put more time and thought into something that didn’t deserve it.

• Matthew says:

fuck up, bet u love jeff buckley too. kimbra is wack

• Michael McClelland says:

i actually can’t stand j-buckley, mcmatt

• Michael McClelland says:

@Hookie: ‘just a pop song’ is a big fallacy that smears musical criticism way too often. so long as a pop single can take money from pockets, it can change things. a number one on the billboard 100 signifies and represents the cultural climate of western population. politics and economy, too, come into it. while i’m not saying this is where kimbra is headed (although a number one locally is very possible), it’s unfair to compare the trends of the western culture to something as temporary as a hamburger. instead, it’s more like the packaging – this shit is non-biodegradable.

i understand that we care less about a song we dislike, but when you’re in a position of musical critique you gotta validate it for the other people who want to know why. what’s your opinion worth, then, if you can’t make your score stand by your words? i’m all for succinctness, but taking a cheap shot and moving on doesn’t come into it.

• Lady Grey says:

It’s democracy run amok.
      But in this more controlled environment, shouldn’t there be some kind of priority system for which reviews get published? I feel like I’m on tumblr with this endless scrolling.

• gemma says:

THE SONG SUX

• Maryann says:

I guess I pay the same respect to a musician as I feel that they pay to me. If they take little into consideration except their own impulse to become rich, why should I give them a disproportionate amount of respect?

I think if you listen to this without watching the music video, there’s no quirkiness in it. It’s very mainstream. What some people describe as ‘surging’, implying that it’s emotional, to me sounds slow-paced, ham-fisted, session-musician-y, very much like advertising music, it’s completely unemotional, it’s not spooky … I think it’s important to listen first without watching the music video, because the approach of the video can be so different to the sound of the music. The imagery in this video suggests someone who’s parodying the feminine, who has an arch approach to pop music, but the music itself seems — neither electronic nor even soft-rock, a lame attempt to be no things to all people. And the vocals sound to me like someone who is not interested in what she’s saying or singing. But it’s workmanlike, it’s inoffensive, it captures some of what is good about pop, though little of that, perhaps, is thanks to the singer.

11. Dan Taipua says:

Found a neat link to Kimbra’s label, along with previews for her upcoming album ‘Vows’

12. Martyn Pepperell says:

Sounds like she heard Gang Gang Dance and tried to make an accessible pop version of it. Totally listenable. Shame she’s a neo nazi or whatever, but meh, heaps of awesome musicians have questionable as fuck views, beliefs and so on. If you listen to music made by smart nice people, you’ll probably listen to a lot of really turgid stuff.

• Michael McClelland says:

she is hot, also

(not in this video, ugh)

• Kelvin says:

Yeah nah totally it doesn’t hurt at how physically good looking she is to my eyes

• Julie Petsounds says:

Yes I agree with Martyn. If we only listened to nice people’s music then music would be so terrible.

• Hookie says:

So you would be okay listening to ‘White Power’ artists if they decided to make an album and write generic lyrics that didn’t convey their redneck views? Wow, how morally bankrupt.

• Dan Taipua says:

Everyone’s liked a Bowie tune before, Hookie.

• Dan Taipua says:

Oh, and The Smiths.

• Kelvin says:

I find that point hilarious as EVERY account I have heard, from people who have no vested interest what so ever claim that Kimbra is probably the ‘nicest’ person in the world…

• Michael McClelland says:

Chris Brown
        Kanye West
        Steve Albini
        Henry Rollins
        Axl Rose
        Liam and Noel Gallagher
        Billy Corgan
        Phil Spector
        Mike Love
        Ian Curtis
        Scribe

• Hookie says:

Chris Brown – publicly vilified
        Kanye West – publicly seen as a headcase, possibly needs meds.
        Henry Rollins – known to stir, also known as a good bloke.
        Axl Rose – publicly seen as a headcase, on meds.
        Liam and Noel Gallagher – cunts, but hateful? No.
        Billy Corgan – Wanker, but hateful? No
        Phil Spector – In Prison.
        Mike Love – I don’t like the drugs but the drugs like me.
        Ian Curtis – Dead.
        Scribe – Publicly mocked.
        Morrissey – publicly vilified

Moral of the story is, if you say some hateful and stupid shit then be prepared to reap what you sow.

• Michael McClelland says:

so at the end of the day, the assholes who do shitty things are better than the nice ones with taboo personal beliefs?

• Noodle says:

Martyn: on the money

13. Josef says:

For some reason I can see the same people who would be turned off by her homophobia as the same people who would gloss over Odd Future rapping about rape etc. Unfounded speculation but whatever.

• Stevie Kaye says:

On the offchance anyone’s actually interested in someone discussing inclusion/exclusion and glossing over re: OFWGKTA, here’s the most reasonable man in music crit. An excerpt:

“So how big of a deal is this? For those who can bracket it and enjoy the many amazing things about the music, it’s one of the least interesting things about the group—misogyny and homophobia are everywhere, but music this vital is not, necessarily. But if you, or truths you care about, are on the business end of those taunts, it’s an incredibly significant deal; it might as well be a picket line you’re crossing. This, in the end, is the hopelessly selfish complaint I’m making: I wish I could embrace the pleasure I get from this music without feeling like a scab, without knowing I can bracket things and include myself in a way that’s not so possible for others around me.

And I say that as someone with pretty highly developed bracketing skills. Also, one of at least four Ethiopians at what I assume is the only Austin Odd Future show at which Tyler made an Ethiopian joke.”

• Michael McClelland says:

link doesn’t work for me, stevie

• Hookie says:

‘Rape a pregnant bitch and tell my friends I had a threesome’

You guys realize that these are the dudes who would beat the shit out of music geeks like yourself as jock parties then laugh about your ‘faggot ass’ as it stumbles out bloody and bruised, then you try intellectualize justifications because they might drop a phat beat or have a way with a melody. Fuck that shit.

• Dan Taipua says:

Hmm, I don’t think they’d beat me up Hookie.

Sounds like you’re projecting your own fears.

14. Noodle says:

I think there’s a big difference between listening to music BY someone who holds objectionable views, and listening to objectionable music. Many people in the world, including many of my favourite musicians, believe things that I might find objectionable. As long as Kimbra doesn’t bring her politics into her music, and doesn’t sully her image by making her conservative views a big issue, then there’s no harm in enjoying her tunes.

I also think there’s a difference between her sort of religious, ignorance-based prejudice, and hate-based prejudice like white supremacy. I’m not defending her here, I’m just saying that drawing all these analogies with Nazis etc is unhelpful.

• Hookie says:

It all sounds like the usual liberal justification when it suits. If this were Fred Durst, you’d all be over him like flies on shit.

15. Let’s not hang her out to dry just yet. Anyone got a link to her homophobic remarks? I mean … until someone produces something concrete it’s all just hearsay really.

16. The Confessor says:

Dunno if yous know this, but yeah Kimbra did get “scooped up” when she won the rockquest or whatever, did that one Simply On My Lips song and then got signed to an Aussie Label who have been nurturing her in Melbourne for the past few years, apparently shes even been on a salary! Dunno about the homophobe stuff, but there is certainly a lot of kewl youf churches round at the moment ($cough$ Ruby Frost), and in her early days did seem the type. From friends I know who know her in Melb, it doesn’t seem likely she would hold these views anymore. Cool song, kinda showing off on the singing tho. _Word_

17. some unqualified comments here. kimbra played a massive GLBTI festival in australia this year. her number one fan in the US is perez hilton and her videos are camp as hell. she may have christian roots (half of NZ does?) but she’s definitely not a homophobe. thought this was a forum for reviewing songs anyway… and this one ain’t half bad.

• Hookie says:

‘Some of my best friends are gay people…..’

• Dan Taipua says:

Out for them pink dollars.

I’ll say it again:
        So. Gangsta.

• zazazazaZAMZ says:

Let’s stop excusing her homophobic behaviour. ‘Some of my best friends are gay people’, talk about digging a hole. It shouldn’t matter what someone’s sexuality is. You shouldn’t have to justify yourself by nominating your friends’ sexualities. It just shows how foreign she finds the concept of homosexuality.

18. matthew says:

let us also not forget that this song is truly extremely annoying.

19. chelsea says:

lol noodle u burned me good *dances infront of corey haim in a playsuit

20. chelsea says:

check out this twee hit from dr dre featuring the twee instrument xylophone i mean glockenspiel gonna tweet about this shit

21. Stevie Kaye says:

re: the comments by Kimbra that people are referring to, I believe they’re from an article on her from the October 31 issue of the Sunday Star Times’ Sunday magazine/supplement. My local library only had that issue archived on microfilm, so apologies for the quality of the scan.

Relevant quotes:

“‘I guess my ideas on relationships are stil centred on the Christian church” [...] Joining sex before marriage in the “grey area” are her views on homosexuality and abortoin. ‘I’m still working it out, man, you know? I don’t have it all together and I don’t have all my answers.’”

Possibly relevant to discussions of why we’re currently interested in female pop musicians and their positions on gay rights, Rich Juzwiak’s Village Voice piece “Katy Perry, Ke$ha, and the Great Gay-Pander-Off of 2010″

• Hookie says:

‘I guess my ideas on relationships are still centred on the Christian church” [...] Joining sex before marriage in the “gray area” are her views on homosexuality and abortion. ‘I’m still working it out, man, you know? I don’t have it all together and I don’t have all my answers.’

So I am also still figuring out my position on black people sitting in the same cafe as myself. I’m not totally ruling out the idea but it’s a gray area all the same.

BOGUS!

About as bogus as that article you linked. The whole thing fails to see the wood from the trees. It reduces basic human dignities to commercial pandering because the artists involved get huge attention from the media. ‘Gay Rights’ is a whole other ball game in America right now. Some liken it to the Civil Rights crusade during the sixties. I don’t think Joan Baez wrote every single song about Black equality but in the context of that era, it was picked up and run with. Automatic flag bearer for liberal whites. Most songs I actually hear from those artists mentioned are about the same old universal bullshit that pop thrives upon.

• Hookie says:

I don’t think we expect women in music to be human rights cheerleaders but maybe we just expect more from women than the usual bunch of hateful homophobic Cro-Magnon dudes. Just saying.

• It sounds like she’s (publically) sitting on the fence in that quote. But to be fair, if she’s trying to reconcile her feelings on this issue with her religious beliefs, rather than just accepting and repeating the party line some Churches have – that’s positive.

Maybe she’s been told certain things about homosexuality her whole life, and maybe she’s STILL being told those things by the church. Maybe she loves teh gayz but was too scared to contradict her religious leaders in print? I speculate. I know she fudges the question – but if she’s taking time to reassess her position on the issue I’m happy for her. Not all Christians have a problem with LGBT lifestyles.

22. Josef says:

Oh Stevie, just to be clear, I don’t give a fuck about Odd Future’s rape and murder shit. Or Kimbra’s apparent homophobia (does anyone actually have any evidence of this at all? 65 comments and not a concrete link in sight….) for that matter.

Also, it seems like the panel’s surprise at Kimbra making a song that doesn’t totally suck has distorted how much they actually like the song and pumped up their mark. Like, this is OK and stuff, but it’s kinda just diet-Bjork isn’t it? Since when has diet-Bjork warranted three tens and two nines?? Maybe I just need to listen to it again.

23. Josef says:

Oh whoops there are those links. My bad

24. Matthew Crawlzo says:

At the risk of being “outed” as a former Christian sympathiser yada yada… How much can you really hate on someone who grew up indoctrinated a certain way? They are some pretty widespread (and outdated, and wrong) beliefs, and they sometimes linger on in surprising places.

At least she said “I don’t know” – sometimes that’s a brave answer, rather than just saying what everyone would want to hear.

As someone who re-evaluated everything he thought he knew for at least half his life, I say good on her for “not knowing” and “working it out, man”. If she’s not stupid, she’ll work it out for herself.

Congratulations to everyone else for growing up in liberal homes!

• Jonathan says:

This.

Best post so far, summed it up for me perfectly. Thanks Crawz.

• Dan Taipua says:

Yeah, her halfway stance is actually kind of encouraging – it shows that she’s coming around to the more accepting viewpoint.

Consider how young she is and how much more of the world she’s seen in the past year or so than she would have in Hamilton.

Not everyone was born/raised into The Listener class, guys.

• I think its not fair to assume everyone here who doesn’t have a problem with homosexuality was brought up in a liberal home. And like, she’s 21, not 15..

• I KNOW, LYKE SO UNFAIR HUH.

• Bang on, Matthew.

Why has noone asked the bigger question here: why the hell was the interviewer for a Sunday supplement asking a 20 year old pop singer her views on abortion and teh gayz in the first place? That quote comes across as dumb as hell, sure. But I very much doubt Kimbra brought the topic up herself, and her brief mostly-paraphrased response suggests that she was trying to shrug off a question about her conservative-background-meets-early-adulthood-soulsearching views on the Big Issues and get back to, I dunno, talking about music and shit.

I suspect that the interviewer knew she’d played Parachute a few times, had some Christian music roots, and decided to get an ‘angle’ out of it by grilling her on a few hot topics. Something juicy to put in the scarequote. I wonder how many other NZ bands and musicians have similar (lack of strong) opinions but haven’t (yet) been coerced into revealing them in the Sunday papers.

Anyway, this song rules. Haters gon’ hate. Cats gon’ interpretive dance.

• bitch please says:

Well I hope Crawley gets raped and pregnant and he wants to have an abortion and Kimbra says he’s not allowed one cause she is a little grey on the topic

• Grant says:

Reporters have always asked artists dumb questions, irrelevant to their music. I guess young people are so stuck for role models that they look to creative types to fill the gap. That’s no big shock. So why act so shocked? And since when did 20 become the new 13? Shit, my gramps had three kids and was working 12 hour days in the coal mines at that age. As for the reporters motivations, what exactly is your point? That someone in the media was nefarious in their questions hoping for shock or scandal? It’s not like he asked the poor lass a probing question on politics in Palestine. Next you’ll be telling me that it was a gotcha question. Seem to remember that hiked that crap out of Faux News when Palin couldn’t answer something about newspapers! God am I ever sick of this intellectual liberal pandering to racism or sexism or homophobia. We can all see the root cause, and understand why someone says or feels that way. It doesn’t mean we can’t also condemn it.

• My point was that dancing cats are awesome.

25. Michael McClelland says:

___?$$$$$§_______?§$$$?
    ____?????____?§§§??§$$§
    ____________?$$$§_?§?
    ___________?$$$§§§$§
    __________?§$$§??$§?

26. Breathe. says:

Wow. There is a hell of a lot of ranty unjustified anger going on here. Does anyone on this board realise the word fuck is not the only adjective in existence?

To take a line as diluted as…

“Joining sex before marriage in the ‘grey area’ are her views on homosexuality and abortion. Í’m still working it out, man, you know? I don’t have it all together and I don’t have all my answers.”

…with no wide frame of reference, no greater context, and let it spiral into a hellish snowball of hurtling abuse is shameful. Shameful that there are people who spend their time stewing over a sentence so vague it’s almost indecipherable (all credit to the balanced and informed journalism I’m sure) and find ways to twist it, break it down and turn it round in an attempt to smear the reputation of a 20 year old girl who hasn’t even been given the voice to defend herself.

I am not a Christian. I am extremely liberal, pro choice, have had a lot of sex without any marriage intent and I am in no way homophobic. Oh, and also, in addition to not being homophobic, I have a lot of gay friends. Did I slip up somehow there? By what seems a rational justification? Did I do the opposite?

I also do not hate tomatos. I eat tomatos every day.

But hey, I see your point.

None of this is to say Kimbra ever actually spoke these words. All I’ve got is some hazy, spurious “I read she is like anti-abortion somewhere, I read that she is anti-gay and I also read she responded that her best friends are gay.”

This, like, anti-gay and anti-abortion profile this reader (if we can call him/her that, reading comprehension is clearly not their strong suit) comes seemingly only from what seems to be a brush off from Kimbra. A no comment. Her views are most likely very complex, very involved. She’s had years involved in the church and I’m sure was not about to sum up her feelings with “I love gays and think abortion is swell”. What she did instead, is steer the article away from a delicate topic, probably for fear of being misinterpreted. How silly of her to think that.

I very strongly hope none of you ever plan on becoming journalists yourselves. I have never seen so many conclusions jumped to so quickly. With eyes shut.

• Grant says:

What the FUCK is your point? We’re not kicking Kimbra to the curb for some silly comments she made a few years ago, we’re just condemning the comments themselves. Many great posts have been made about context and appreciation of her situation at the time. All good stuff. However I find all the self reasoning here really strange and depressing. What was said was basically, she’s not quite sure if a certain sector of society should be allowed equal rights. If someone said that to me at a party then I’d put them on the spot. Is she exempt because she is young and attractive and female? It was a dumb and ignorant thing to say, to be sure. Why can’t we call her out on it? She will take it on the chin and move on. The song still sucks but I don’t find that part of the whole thing nearly as offensive.

• I’m with Grant…ok I don’t think its too much of a big deal, but like there is just no justification (Well I haven’t read any convincing justification here) for that sort of shit, like actually, its not hate crimes, but fuck its 2011…

• Breathe. says:

Which comments? The interviewers comments? What has she expressly said? and where is this “I have lots of friends that are gay” justification coming from, other than hearsay?

• Michael McClelland says:

Grant: “We’re not kicking Kimbra to the curb for some silly comments she made a few years ago”

Grant, earlier (under the alias ‘Hookie’): “That sort of shit gets you forever black marked in my book.”

• Grant says:

Michael, you got me bruv! I will admit that my latter comment was emotive, unfair, unreasonable and a little offensive. Hey, just like Kimbra’s position on the Gays!

• Grant says:

I should point out that ‘I have lots of friends who are gay’ is not a direct quote, but myself making a point in attempted humorous fashion.

• Breathe. says:

So. There we have it. No comments to speak of, just people filling in blanks to sate their need to argue.

I’m not sure she ever said anything about homosexuality. And neither can anyone else.

This sly-handed reporting doesn’t establish whether this comment was directed at her views on homosexuality or abortion. He’s just lumped it all into one clumsy sentence.

If it was on abortion, I’d be inclined to react in the same way. It’s a delicate topic, and one can’t be chastised for having their own view on something so personal. Someone’s own feelings on abortion are not necessarily their feelings on others having abortions.

• shotbro says:

Shot @breathe for being reasonable amongst all this hysterical witchhunting. I’m curious to know what her views actually are.

• Timon says:

That is absolutely not what she “basically said”.

27. Kelvin says:

Yeah that article is exactly the one I was referring to. I actually had in my head that it wasn’t that bad, but if someone said that to me at a party I would not be their pal

• Kelvin says:

Wait but thats completely beside the point I guess, oh I don’t know. I guess I don’t care enough about her for this to be TOOOO big a deal. Its just some girl who was brought up in a conservative Family and hasn’t realised that her views are putrid yet. COOL SONG, I LIKE IT!

28. chelsea says:

sup grant

29. chelsea says:

remember that time that dude brian spector whatever his name is SHOT SOMEONE. That was STINK!

30. Jonathan says:

I’m just still in awe that someone managed to get Orewa into their review.

I wonder if I’ve still got my “Home of the Swollen Pancreas” shirt somewhere…

31. Chewie Lewis says:

A young Girls misinterpreted opinions are now the most debated issue on The Corner. Well done.

• Matthew says:

don’t be such a patronising fuckwit

• Noodle says:

Hi Matthew. I have noticed that you are an asshole. Maybe you shouldn’t be such an asshole.

32. kinky says:

“casually shits all over every other hyped NZ pop starlet.”

33. Timon says:

Hello.

I play in Kimbra’s band, and it’s quite ridiculous to see how far a few people have taken some off hand comments she made.

That comment (“I’m still figuring it out etc”) shouldn’t be taken to mean she is anti-gay and anti-abortion. Remember that journalists often push for someone to make a black and white statement about things, and I know for a fact that this particular one was trying to dig for dirt on her. The comment is simply a “no comment”, which means she didn’t want to talk about it, and the journalist chose to print it in a slightly inflammatory way.

So to set the record straight:

She’s not anti-gay, in fact our keyboard player is gay, and that’s just fine.

As for abortion, well, does it really matter what she thinks about that? I don’t personally know, but it seems to me anyone should have a right to not agree with abortion for their own reasons, it hurts noone else.

So perhaps next time wait until you have solid evidence that someone is anti this or that before slamming them with abuse, getting outraged over such an utterly vague quote seems like just another example of how people seem to look for reasons to hate.

• matthew says:

i’m not gonna pretend to care about kimbra’s views on anything, coz i really don’t, but your comment about people not agreeing with abortion is remarkably myopic. seriously.

• Timon says:

How so?

• matthew says:

there have been many incidences where “anyone” not agreeing with abortion has hurt others. i agree that people are entitled to opinions, but think about whatchu say. or the way it’ll be perceived. maybe kimmy should too!

• Timon says:

Sigh….

What I mean is: One person “not agreeing” with abortion, as in thinking it’s a negative thing and having a resolve to not do it themselves hurts noone. It’s only when people start raging about it, holding protests outside clinics, being assholes to people who choose to that it becomes an objectionable viewpoint to have. Simply disagreeing with it, and not forcing your opinion on anyone else, I maintain, hurts noone.

Everything ok now?

• Matthew says:

yep!

• Dan T says:

Hakuna Matata!

34. Ok so I’m not trying to start an arguement or get peoples backs up but what’s the difference between Kimbra stating her beliefs and these people saying she is wrong according to their own beliefs? I totally respect that Kimbra is staying true to what she believes instead of conforming to what people think a ‘person in the creative industry’ should be. Creative is about people creating something not conforming to a mold.

35. drfunkenstein says:

Damn that “Cameo Lover” single is one of the top three most annoying songs I have ever heard (or should that be bottom three?). Its HORRRIBBBBLE!!!!! You could get Bootsy Collins to lay a bass line down on this track and it would still sound as white and funkless as Tip Top Super Soft White Toast bread. If you could hear Tip Top Super White Toast bread that is.

36. The song draws inspiration from a lot of styles and eras, a little bit confusing, but there was not a thought in my mind to skip parts, and the sound is cohesive as a whole. Definitely not boring or robotic, or over-produced! I haven’t heard anything really close enough to this song in 2012. Not really tuning in to diverse, modern music, My playlist is quite limited to old stuff…

I love her, but suit yourself.

Review section: “Song’s great,” “Song’s so-so,” “Song’s blah,” and “Kimbra is anti-gay, meh”

Comments section: 90% discussing “Kimbra is anti-gay”

37. sucar says:

I’ve been listening to Cameo Lover the whole day! And I like it. That’s my opinion. Whether you like it or not is your own opinion.

I also took the time to read some of the comments. There were a few people who seemed to get malicious at the sound of Kimbra being “anti-gay” and what not. Well, why should you care? So you have no real current proof that she is “anti-gay”, and that most likely won’t affect her music. Even if she was anti-gay, then leave her be? Just like how you wouldn’t want a religious person shoving their doctrine down your throat, stop getting at her for what she believes in. You wouldn’t want someone to pester you about what you believe in, would you?

Not everyone will accept gays, to be honest. And it’d be best if you left them alone about it. If that’s their cup of tea, then it’s theirs. If it is an entertainer that satisfies the complete will of his/her audience that you seek, then you are out of luck.

• Cause being anti-gay is like being racist almost.
      It’s a human rights thing and I for one think being gay is one of the most natural things out there, unlike Christianity which is not natural at all.
      I loved Kimbra a ton before I read this wholeeee page, and I understand that her words may have been twisted but it nauseates me to think that she could consider some of these thoughts at all… let alone, now.
      I surely hope not.
      My mom had around 5 abortions. She’s also mentally ill and had severe problems; I was the only non-abortion and was not raised by her. She was also abused by several men (raped within institutions, etc.) With out abortions, people have no fucking idea the horrors she would have gone through and that all of those kids would have faced. I was lucky enough but my life has still been incredibly challenging and so has my failing health. A women deserves a full right to abortion; the circumstances are never fully known.
      So, Kimbra can consider it all she wants and have all the gay friends she wants but she should realize that while she’s counting her blessings (golden records, her natural born gifts) that there are people all around her and at her shows who have suffered at the hands of others abusing them because they are gay or telling them that abortion is wrong and they should burn in hell or feel badly for it when it their last choice.
      I am not hating on her; I promise. I just hope she uses her platform for good and at least has become more well spoken.

38. holy shit bitches be cray

39. I know I’m way late but I had to comment. Just because someone is against certain things does not make them bad people or bad musicians. Because by ‘hating her’ for not being pro’homosexual is the same as if she hated homosexuals. Just because someone does not agree with the homosexual lifestyle does not mean they are homophobic. I have plenty of gay friends who I love so much and I may not agree with them being gay and they may not agree with my belief system but we are people with different lives, backgrounds, ethics, and interests. No one should be punished for it. If she said something hateful like wishing homosexuals would all die then there is a reason to be angry. Her music has not disrespected anyone’s sexuality.
    There are artists who do dumb shit all the time but because they may be pro-choice or give money to the LGBTQ it makes it okay. If that is what we are judging people by then maybe we need to check ourselves. Different people have different opinions.
    As far as abortion, unless someone is raped don’t kill the baby. You take the time to have sex so take the time to love your child.

• You not agreeing with them being gay is like you not agreeing with somebody who is tall. It’s a physical thing that cannot be controlled.